Posted on December 19, 2012 by KVMG-CMS | 0 comments
A device that extends an original signal or extends the capability of controlling an original device to a remote (extended) location, typically using standard CAT-5/5e/6/7 cable(s).
An extender typically consists of two (2) components: A (local) transmitter that connects to the source, and a (remote) receiver that resides at the extended location connecting to the target. The transmitter and the receiver are typically connected over a distance with a CAT-5 cable.
Extenders may include:
- Audio Extender – Extending speakers.
- Component Extender – Extending component video to a remote display.
- DVI Extender – Extending DVI video to a remote display.
- HDMI Extender – Extending HDMI signals to a remote HDTV display.
- KVM Extender – Extending a computer console consisting of a keyboard, video-monitor, and mouse.
- PS/2 Extender – Extending PS/2 peripherals (keyboard and mouse).
- RS232 Extender – Extending RS232 devices such as touch-screens.
- USB Extender – Extending USB devices such as cameras.
- Video Extender – Extending a video signal to a remote display.